Popcorn is one of the most versatile snacks out there, and it’s one of the easiest to make. Whether you buy it in bags or make it yourself, popcorn can be used as an appetizer, side dish, or even dessert! Here are eight ways to make perfect popcorn every time that will have your family begging for more!
Use Quality Ingredients
- For the perfect popcorn, start with these steps:
- Don’t use cheap oil or a pan that is too hot
- Mix corn with enough oil so that each kernel has about an inch of coating on it
- Add just enough salt and sugar for a barely detectable flavor
Keep it Simple
Make Perfect Popcorn with Less Ingredients
If you want popcorn that’s better than what you find in a microwave, then it’s time to keep it simple. Microwave popcorn recipes often call for added ingredients such as margarine or butter, salt and artificial flavoring. They also can include odd flavor combinations or high calorie dressings like caramel and cheese, which is a major no-no if you’re trying to lose weight or stick with healthy eating plans. To keep things extra simple without sacrificing great taste, try out these three DIY popcorn recipes: 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder Corn kernels (as many as you’d like) Combine ingredients in a large paper bag.
Bake it on a Baking Sheet
This recipe is one of the best methods for perfect popcorn, because it uses high heat. This way you’ll get all the delicious flavors with none of the crunchy burnt bits.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and put in an even layer of kernels (about 2 cups). Place the pan on top of two burner grates so that the surface is even and kernels are close to heat. Add olive oil or melted butter and seasonings such as salt, sugar, or cinnamon for flavor. Cover pot (with a dome lid or closed tightly with oven mitts) and shake often until popped, about 3-5 minutes or use popcorn popper.
Don’t Use Butter
- Pop it on the stove top. Popcorn kernels should pop at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, but most microwaves only reach about 300 degrees or less. If you want better flavor, invest in a stovetop popcorn maker or give this microwave hack a try: Pour 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a heavy saucepan and then add two tablespoons of corn kernels for every cup you want to make (or use an equal amount). Cook the mixture over medium-high heat and wait until there’s constant popping noise. At that point, remove from heat, stir well and transfer popcorn into large serving bowl(s). Add any desired toppings such as salt, butter or cinnamon sugar while it’s still hot so they will stick better.
Get Rid of the Box (microwave popcorn)
If you want to make perfect popcorn at home, the first thing you’ll need is a good-quality bag of plain old popcorn kernels. There are various opinions on the best way to pop them (in oil, butter, or any other liquid) but using the microwave is not one of them. Boxed microwave popcorn bags create a chemical taste that will never be duplicated in a kettle. Popcorn kernels will give you clean popping without all the hassle and are 100% more affordable than pre-popped variety packs. And don’t forget about seasoning! Flavored oils like cheddar cheese and parmesan garlic can add flavor while healthy toppings like Parmesan cheese, cracked black pepper, red chili flakes and Cajun spices are fun additions too.
There are many different flavors of popcorn, which means there are also a lot of different combinations and methods for making the perfect batch. Here are a few guidelines for making great tasting popcorn.
1) Get your hands on some high quality kernels. There is no point in putting good ingredients into bad snacks! It’s all about the quality, so use freshness to your advantage by buying only what you need, and don’t be afraid to experiment with new varieties of flavor combinations!
2) Mix up your cooking oil– olive oil is a great option if you want something more savory while coconut oil provides a hint of sweetness that tastes delicious when paired with maple syrup or honey butter!
Avoid Frying Anything
Besides eating it right out of the bag, here are a few more ways to enjoy popcorn: Mix with melted butter, salt and parmesan cheese. Drizzle in warmed honey and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Top with a few marshmallows, cover the pan and melt them. Try topping some sweet popcorn with salty Nutella or adding soy sauce for a salty-sweet taste that kids will love. In this blog post we’ve given you eight different ways to make perfect popcorn.
Grind Your Own Corn Kernels
The key to make perfect popcorn is in the type of corn.
Try popping raw corn kernels in a hot air popper. Or try not popping the popcorn on top of the stove, instead preheat your oven or heat up a large pot on the stove and pour popcorn inside once heated. Plus, you can even use the microwave for making perfect popcorn!